Sunday, October 12, 2014

DIY Recycled Paper Cat Litter

diy cat litter
I found this awesome DIY project for homemade cat litter on treehugger.com (a site I am newly obsessed with!). I thought it was worth a try, especially since I always have a pile of newspapers laying around…mostly the unwanted shopper ads.



I've been making this litter for a few months now: the cats seem to like it, and I don't mind making it so I call it a success!!

Supplies:
-paper :newspaper is best, but printer paper works also
-paper shredder (or scissors if you don't mind doing a lot of cutting)
-large plastic container
-screen
-dish soap
-baking soda

First, shred your paper and put it in your plastic container.
  diy cat litter

diy cat litter

Add enough water to cover the paper.  Add a little dish soap and a liberal amount of baking soda.  Stir a little bit and let soak.  I usually leave my batches soak overnight
diy cat litter

After soaking the paper you will have to stir, knead and tear the paper to beak it down more.  Do this until the paper is like thick oatmeal and your bin does not have any long strips of paper.
diy cat litter

Use your hands to grab the paper pulp out of the bin and squeeze out as much water you can.  You are left with a bunch of paper balls
diy cat litter

Crumble the balls onto a drying rack.  I use a old screen I found in my apartment basement.  Set the screen somewhere to dry.  For faster drying, keep the screen elevated so air can circulate on all sides.  I use a couple chairs to hold my screen up (outside and in the sun on a nice day, or somewhere in the apartment of a not so nice day).   It takes at least 24 hours to dry completely.
diy cat litter

Wet crumbles:
diy cat litter

Dry crumbles:
diy cat litter

Finished product:
diy cat litter

When I first introduced the cats to the paper litter I used 50% paper and 50% regular litter in their box.  After a few weeks, they were completely comfortable using the paper alone.  I scoop out any soiled litter and solids daily.  You can see what part is soiled and not because the wet paper will be much darker in color than the dry.
I am certainly loving this litter!  It isn't hard to make, is a great way to reuse paper, it is easy to scoop, and isn't tracked very far out of the litter box!

No comments:

Post a Comment