Saturday, June 14, 2014

Dreadlock Removal

dreadlock removal
Day of the big cut!
dreadlock removal
Cut my length down a bit
dreadlock removal
All combed out!

Well, after 3 1/2 years, I cut off my dreadlocks!
To answer the big questions:

How I did it-  I cut my dreads to a length of about how long I wanted my hair to be.  Then I combed out the rest of the length.  To comb them out, I used the pointy tip of a comb, started and the bottom of the dreads and slowly untangled/picked the knots out as I worked my way up to the scalp…one dread at a time.  It was a simple and surprisingly not very painful process, but took a really long time.  It took me 3 days from start to finish since I was doing it all by myself and took long breaks to let my arms rest.  After all the dreads were out, I did a finishing trim.

Why I did it-  There is no one reason.  The dreads were getting hot, heavy and extremely unruly.  The upkeep was getting tiresome and I was also getting annoyed by being approached by random people who ask non-sense questions.  I just felt like it was time for a change and I'm happy I can experiment with fun vintage styles now!

Honestly, I already miss my dreads.  I wouldn't be surprised if the next time I want a big hair change I start some new locks!

No comments:

Post a Comment